Roughly two years ago I became obsessed with recreating cheesy tastes and texture. If you’re Portuguese, you already know cheese is treated as a delicacy. At least for me. The inspiration for this recipe came from a Tasty video I came across on social media back in 2016.. Every vegan “nacho cheese” product I’ve come across since, I inspect the ingredients and apply them towards this recipe. This recipe now reminds me of that signature Nacho Cheese taste I loved as a kid. It’s insane, you’ve got to try this. I look forward to your feedback!
- 1 cup pre-soaked and drained cashews
- 1 large yellow female bell pepper
- 1 cup spring or filtered water
- 2 lemons (zest of 1, juice of 2)
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Splash of grape seed oil
- 1 TBSP tapioca starch
- Add the water, cashews, and bell pepper(remote stem and seeds and tear into little pieces) to a blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the tapioca starch. Blend medium/low or puree for 2-3 minutes. You really wanna smooth consistency. It may take longer or less time depending on the quality of the blender. Go as long as you need to.
- Add in the tapioca starch to blender and process for another 30 seconds.
- Pour onto a stainless steel sauce pan at high heat. Whisk frequently for 2 minutes, then turn heat down to medium low, whisk frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into glass bowl and serve.
- This is a small batch, 3-4 servings.
- The instructions above are best suited for a gas stove top. If you are cooking on an electric stove top, on step 4 cook the “cheese” sauce at medium heat to low heat for 15-20 minutes whisking frequently.
Based out of San Francisco, CA.